Sunday, July 11, 2010

Writing Poetry Using Cause and Effect

If You Give A Mouse a Cookie/ If You Give a Moose a Muffin

Go to fullsize image


Go to fullsize image Go to fullsize image

By: Dawn Wilson


Words from the author-Laura Numeroff
THE START OF MY LIFE AS AN AUTHOR

When I was 15, I had a change of heart. Instead of being a writer, I decided to follow in my sister Emily's footsteps. She was a fashion designer and I thought it sounded like a great job. When the time came to go to college, I only applied to Pratt Institute, in Brooklyn, where Emily had gone!

Unfortunately, I hated everything about the fashion department and I couldn’t sew to save my life! I ended up taking classes in things I enjoyed,
photography, animation and radio broadcasting. By my last semester, I was still unsure of what I would do once I graduated. I ended up taking a class in writing and illustrating books for children because it sounded like a great class.

We had an assignment to write and illustrate a children's book. Mine was about the tallest girl in the third grade. (No, I wasn't the tallest but I have an imagination!)I made several attempts to get it published and after only 4 rejections, Macmillan bought it! I graduated from college with a degree AND a contract for my first book!

Beatrice Doesn't Want ToMy first nine books are now out of print. One of them (my
favorite), BEATRICE DOESN'T WANT TO, is a story about a girl who hates books!!! This one is coming back with all new illustrations by Lynn Munsinger who did the art for WHAT MOMMIES DO BEST/WHAT DADDIES DO BEST! I can't wait!



Activity:
Day 1
Students will gather around the easel in the reading center. I will introduce two books for our new writing lesson. I will explain that we will be reading one story today and another one tomorrow. Before we begin I will ask the children if they have ever heard of the books we are about to read. Most children will raise their hands as Miss Numeroff's books are very popular. Next, I will share the words the author wrote about herself. I will explain that this is called an auto-biography. After we discuss Ms. Numeroff, we will talk about the two books we are going to read and explain that the author uses cause and effect when writing these stories. I will ask the students if they know what this means? We will discuss the concept before we read. I will give them clues about cause and effect. I will say, "If it rains outside then we need to stay in for recess. If you spill your milk then you have to clean it up." Next, I will give them a cause and they will finish the sentence with an effect. After we complete this activity, I will tell them to listen carefully to the words in the story, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, and listen for things that happen as a result of something else: cause and effect.

When the read aloud is over, I will ask students to give me examples from the story that show cause and effect. I will write these examples on my easel. Next, I will introduce the song, On Top Of Spaghetti. I will play the music and post the lyrics in the reading center so students can sing along. Again I will ask how the author of the song used cause and effect.

Day 2
Today we will read If You Give a Moose a Muffin. Before reading, we will revisit the concept of cause and effect. After the read aloud I will ask questions similar to the day before. Next, I will explain to them that they are going to write poems using cause and effect. We will model one together. I will give them prompts to help them. These prompts will include: Because an elephant sneezed, Because a boy kicked the ball, Because the woman opened her umbrella, Because the spider made a web, and a host of other cause and effect idea starters. I will explain that the poem will begin and end with the same sentence. For example: Because an elephant sneezed...And all because an elephant sneezed. After students finish their poem, students will illustrate them and we will hang them in the hallway to share with the school.


Ohio Standards (Benchmarks) for Writing

Grade 3

Writing Processes:

1. Publish writing samples for display or sharing with others, using techniques such as electronic resources and graphics.

2. Generate ideas and determine a topic suitable for writing.

Writing Conventions:

1. Write legibly in finished drafts.

Writing Applications:
1. Write responses to literature that demonstrate an understanding of a literary work.




To find the lyrics and listen to On Top of Spaghetti go to:
www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/ontopofspaghetti.html

To visit the author's website:
http://www.lauranumeroff.com/books/my_books.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment